News

September 2019 meeting minutes

MRA Meeting Minutes

Thursday, September 12, 2019

7:30PM – Etobicoke Yacht Club

 

Attended: Adam, Anne, Chris, Leanne, Kate, John, Tim (partially by phone)

Regrets: Bri, Deb, Heather, Joe

 

  1. Quorum and meeting opening – commenced at 7:40PM
  2. Motion to approve June Minutes – Leanne; Seconded – Kate; Motion Carried.
  3. Party in the Park update – Leanne
    • First year MRA had its own tent – activity was decorating pet rocks.
    • MRA’s participation in having its own tent was a success
    • MRA also volunteered selling treats
    • Successful event
    • Group discussed whether we need to donate ring pops and juice boxes in the future (since additional logistics are required)
    • Group raised possibility of highlighting or supporting a local cause at future events (e.g. having a petition or other informational materials).
    • To be discussed in advance of next year’s event.
  4. Pollinator Grant and Eco Schools Planning Update – Kate
    • Site visit for September 24, 2019
    • Planting will take place in the spring
    • MRA will discuss closer to the event the logistics of supporting a community planting event.
  5. “So long to Summer” Community Gathering at GLB – Sept 18 – Tim
    • Event to be held at Great Lakes Brewery 7-9PM
    • Suggestion to bring blank nametags
    • Bring banner
  6. Mimico Movie Night – Sept 21 – Anne
    • Original July date has been postponed
    • Rescheduled for September 21, 2019
    • Later September date will allow earlier start time.
    • Mark Grimes’ office will take care of most of the logistics
    • Viewing of film (Princess Bride) will take place at Mimico Memorial Park
  7. All Candidates Meeting on the Environment – Heather/Adam
    • The debate will focus on Environmental issues
    • Date has been changed given the multiple debates happening in the area within a short timeframe
    • Partnering with Eculinks to put on the debate on October 2
    • MRA will livestream over Facebook Live as was successfully done for the Municipal Election debates in our riding
  8. Halloween Dance – Friday October 25 – Chris
    • Organizing COmmittee will consist of: Deb, Bri, Chris, Tim, Joe, and John
    • DJ has been confirmed for Friday October 25 (DJ Warren)
    • St. Leos has been booked
    • Next step – set up a meeting with the organizing committee
  9. Bell Box Murals Update – Bri (Deb/Tim)
    • Put over to next meeting
  10. Nominating Committee and Succession Planning for Key Roles
    • Put over to next meeting
    • Introduced the discussion – there will likely be a large number of existing board members stepping down
    • For nominating committee we have a number of materials drafted from last year’s process
    • Will strike the nominating committee at October’s Board meeting
    • Anne will send an email to the Board to think about nominating committee and succession planning
  11. Next board meeting dates and locations
    • Dates: Thursday Oct 17 (Anne’s house – will confirm with Board whether that date is still good), Thurs Nov 14, Thurs Dec 12
  12. Other business
    • City council special committee on governance – mandate will be to facilitate community feedback on how to most effectively govern with a smaller group of councilors
      • Have reached out to community groups around Toronto
      • Online survey is currently circulating – encourage others to provide feedback
      • Drop in to speak to city staff (Sept 30)
      • Participate in a workshop – October 1, 2019

Meeting concluded 8:30PM

Leave a Reply