MRA Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, August 19th, 2020
19:30 – Virtual meeting
Attended: Tim Ellis, Joe Fotia, John Homsy, Mike Majeski, Heather Mak, Adam Matheson, Emma Park, Mostafa Shahein, James Stack
Guests: Kevin and Carly, Zsuzsanna Lichner
1. Quorum and Meeting Opening – Mike
2. Motion to approve July minutes – Mike
- Motion – John; seconded by Emma; motion carried
3. Welcoming of New Participants – Adam
Participants welcomed – no comments from them
4. Insurance Update – Emma
- Received confirmation of payment and policy is in good standing.
- Emma to follow up with broker to confirm everything is in order going forward
5. Affordable Housing Follow-up Discussion – Adam
- Adam provided a brief summary of the groups work and what they are trying to achieve in our area
- Group to vote on if we should: a) provide awareness but not openly push agenda or b) get behind motion fully and openly support it or c) no action – group voted for a)
6. COVID Update – Tim/Mike
- Maloney called Tim, they are too busy right now. Grimes and Hogarth have not responded.
- Tim suggested we reach out to Patrick Nunziata for comment as residents have questions on school reopenings. Tim will engage with Nunziata’s office
- Mostafa – Working with a Mimico doctor and dentist and would like to have videos published by next meeting on COVID doing a Q&A
7. Updates, FYI’s and Forwards – Mostafa
- Will continue to send and direct to the proper board members
8. Campbell’s Site Proposal – 60 Birmingham – All
- Mike summarized what was proposed and issues raised by the community – a consumer goods logistics facility servicing the GTA. Site will have ~80 bays for tractor trailers, access to multiple roads in Mimico/New Toronto. Fear of significant traffic volume and safety issues. Facility likely to operate 24 hours a day.
- Zsuzsanna (guest) brought up the local petition that has been signed by over 500 people. Petition details and what it is trying to achieve – First: Asking for a community consultation from the developer – Second: references noise studies done, and Third: look into why Grimes has recused himself from the decision. She feels the most important part is pushing for a consultation with the company.
- Heather has some contacts at Quad Real and can find the appropriate person to speak with.
- Kevin (guest) asked if we would be able to sway any decisions – Tim suggested that we could probably impact the decision with public hearings
- Tim and James suggested they could survey members via Facebook/website (Adam/Emma) on interest in a consultation if a community meeting does not occur from the developer – aiming for August 28th timing
9. Other Business – nothing at this time
10. Next Meeting – Thursday, September 17th, 2020 @ 7:30pm.
- Emma to send the invite to the board.
- Meeting concluded 20:40